Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Who wants leg room and conversation?

This may end up reading like a plug for VIA Rail.

As you may or may not know, I am rather fond on trains. Some of my most loved memories involve trains, the tracks, the whistle, the sparks from the brakes and the "trackah trackah" sound that it makes as it whirrs along. A goal of mine in the next year or so, is to take the train across the Canada and stop off wherever and whenever I want. Summer, fall, winter, spring; when doesn't matter - I simply have to see more of this country.

I am headed home to see my friends and family for the holidays. I left it pretty late, but I still managed to get my ticket home just the other day, and I am (of course) taking the train. I have collected a couple different tricks from different people that reduces the cost significantly, making it a viable and relaxing way to travel. Who wants leg room and an everchanging and beautiful view of Eastern Canada? Oh! Me! Me!

Person to person and face to face experiences with VIA rail have never been anything less of wonderful. Buying my ticket at Union Station was no different. There were two ticket "wickets" open. One of the gentlemen at the counters had helped me out a lot 2 years ago when I was travelling out of Toronto. I was kind of suprised that I recognized him. The counter that I went to this time was staffed by a gentleman named Winston. He had an amazing calming presence and classic voice. We had a great conversation about trains, Elizabeth May, Toronto, Christmas etc. and I left, with ticket in hand, and a smile plastered on my face of such a happy meeting.

I was so happy that I walked off, leaving my bags.

Even my embarassment of returning to fetch my things couldn't ruin my feeling of pure happy.
I snuck back and got them moments later.

No comments: