Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Hey Rosetta & Asbury Park


Those who know me well, know a few key things about me:
1. I knit.
2. My birthday is October 21st
3. I really, really like Hey Rosetta, and think you should too.

The last few times I've tried to see Hey Rosetta, things haven't gone quite to plan.

Three years ago, I got tickets to see them in Toronto and then couldn't go because of work.  Luckily, I was able to give them to an excellent friend and now she's a fan.


Two summers ago we went to the Gentlemen of the Road Festival specifically to see them.  While they and all the other performers were great, it was there that I realized that I'm not as easy-going as I thought I was. In fact, I might be stodgey. Too many people, too much pushing, too much sun, too little sleep.

Hot, hot, hot. Bright, bright, bright.
Last summer we went to Hillside Music Festival in Guelph.  Hey Rosetta did a morning workshop with Royal Canoe that was a tribute to the music of the Beatles. It was worth waking up bright and early for. It was a tight and creative set that made it seem like the two bands have been playing together for years (who knows, maybe they have?).  The sad news is that Hey Rosetta's set that evening was cancelled due to a pretty epic thunder and lightning storm.

This fall I found out their newest album was being released on my birthday.  Happy Birthday to me!  However, we had just moved, and it was the Canadian release date that was October 21st.  The American release date was still months away. Yet another reason to be homesick.

Turn the clock to January.  I see a tweet.  I check a schedule. We buy tickets and 2 days later we're headed to the Jersey Shore to a place called The Saint.
 
The stage was so small, that even though we were in the very front, we couldn't see all the players.
It was a small stage and a modest crowd, with a few obvious ex-pats mixed in.  The size of the venue and crowd didnt stop them from playing a great show, playing mostly new songs with a few older favourites.  They handled the ridiculous demands from the crowd with grace and humour, and then, when they were all done, the violin player got most of  the band to sign my freshly purchased CD. Thanks Kinley!



And now it is January 27th! The official launch date of their new album Second Sight.  I hope it does great, and they come back  again sometime soon.

No comments: