Thursday, July 23, 2009

Just like an Oompa Loompa

When I was biking home from work yesterday, I was enjoying a nice, warm but slightly overcast afternoon. I was biking through the University of Waterloo campus and there were people everywhere, walking, biking, rollerblading, guys, girls and profs with dark hair, light hair, light skin, dark skin, purple skin…


That’s right. Purple skin.


I certainly did a double take.


The person in question was a roller-blader and she looked like a member of the Blue Man group or an 60's Oompa Loompa, except for the fact that she was purple and not bald or in a candy factory. Her arms were bare and purple. Her face and neck were purple. She was wearing shorts, and her legs were purple.


What was the most spectacular about the fact that there was a purple girl walking through campus?


I was the only one who noticed.


I was amazed, no one looked twice. No necks craning, no traffic stopping, no surprised expressions. I felt like I was the only one who thought this was something to make note of – does this kind of thing happen every day? Are people just not observing what is going on around them?


Here’s to you, purple girl.

No comments: