Thursday, November 13, 2008

Bladder-Karma

After class today, and some group work -my friend invited me along to have dinner with her and her cousin and some others. I was a bit hesitant at first, but I like meeting new people. The fact that they were going to an Indian restaurant certainly helped. The food was absolutely delicious and bountiful. I was continually encouraged to eat more, but it is incredibly filling - and quickly I was fuller than I have been in a long, long time. The conversation was varied and interesting, and I felt completely at home with everyone.

After dinner, we departed with a flurry of voiced goodbyes, waves and a few (surprising) hugs. They piled into a car and went one way. I waited on a nearby corner for the streetcar.

This would normally be a good end to an adventure. But some generally-interesting things happened on the way home.

1. While waiting for the streetcar, An older gentleman (I think he said he was 45) came up to me and started lecturing me on how I should never get married, and certainly never have children. After the initial bombardment, I asked why, and he gave me a slew of reasons. They all revolved around his (soon to be) ex-wife, how she cheated, that he caught her, she pulled a knife on him, and now she is keeping his kids away from him. I am sure that there is more than one side to this story, but I'll let that go. What was kind of funny was that he seemed rather distressed, not about his situation - but rather that I wouldn't promise him that I would never get married.

2. Once on the streetcar, I sat by a window so I could take in the sights. (At this point I would like to note that I go to school in Etobioke. I have yet to see a nice part of the area. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, I'm just saying that I haven't seen it yet.) On the streetcar sitting adjacent to me were two, very baked, Humber College students. How did I know they were baked? The incessant giggling. How did |I know that they were Humber students? The Humber book bag. Now, the point of this short story revolves around this bookbag. When the girl got up from her seat at the window to get off the streetcar, they didn't really utilize their motor-skills. At one point, her bookbag swung and smucked her male companion right in the mouth. He was in pain. She was apologizing. I was snickering.

3. Karma catches up with me at this point for the snickering at the high couple with the book bag and the bloody lip. The street car is SLOW. I would like to state this right now. I had drank a lot of water in the restaurant, and now - nowhere near my stop - I have to pee. Sitting on the streetcar for likely 45 minutes, I have to pee the ENTIRE time. I finally get off at my stop where I then need to wait for the bus. In the cold. With a full bladder. 5 minutes. 10 minutes. 15 minutes. 20 minutes go by. I am going to die. So I leave the stop to find some cafe or something to use the facilities. Just as I am turning the corner, the bus I had been waiting for rolls on by. Gaaaahhh! Like I said Karma. When my bladder is back to its normal size again, I resume my spot at the bus station, and in what seems like no time at all - another bus swoops by, I hop on, and am back on track for home.

Lessons learned:
Drink lots of water. But use a restroom before starting a 1.5 hour long trek home in the cold.
Don't walk down Queen Street or Lakeshore by yourself at night
Don't laugh at others misfortunes... Unless it is really, just that funny.
Don't get married to a crazy person who will pull a knife on you.

No comments: