Wednesday, November 26, 2008

"Would you like to sit down?"

These past few days I have been fortunate to attend a conference for Fundraising Professionals. This may not sound super exciting to you reading, but the past three days have been the most eye-opening and inspiring days in regards to my future.

Now, of course, there was a downside to this. Being among a huge number of influential professionals in the fundraising field, I had to look professional. I had to wear pantyhose and high heels. The resulting look was what I like to call "Philanthropist Barbie". (I think this term is hilarious, and will likely be using it everytime I dress up leggy-like. Be prepared.)

"What is your point?" You may be saying to yourself.
"Get on with it." You think as your attention wanes.

Believe it or not, the point of this is about another bit of kindness in Toronto.

Wearing heels all day is generally not something I do, and I was paying for it by the end of the day. Paying with pain.

The subway car I was on was packed full and everyone was scowling and looking off into space. I wanted to cry because I was standing, and knew I would continue to do so for the next half hour amongst other cranky, tired people. I became resigned to this fact, which caused my face to match all the other unhappy souls on the subway.

I felt someone tap my arm and clear space on the seat next to them. He had a guitar and bags and a jacket and he moved them all out of the way so I could sit down. My feet sighed and grinned in appreciation, and I immediately decided that we were going to be friends. We chatted for the rest of the trip. I found out that he teaches music and lives in the same neighbourhood. I guessed that he played classical guitar, as I observed very long fingernails on his right hand. Turns out he plays flamenco and jazz, and he has been to the Halifax Jazz Festival a few times. We discussed music, the maritimes, the subway and human nature, all in just 20 minutes.

Then my stop came up. We nodded our goodbyes and went our separate ways. I will probably never see this person who went out of his way to show me some kindness, and it is better that way. In this giant mess of a city, these brief moments of humanity with no strings attatched seem even sweeter.

No comments: