Saturday, October 18, 2008

On the subway today...

I know I have only just begun keeping this journal, but there is certainly a theme that has become apparent to me. This theme is the Transit system. I have a little story almost everyday that has to do with something I saw or experienced on the bus or the subway, and I find it very difficult to avoid it. When I am travelling from one place or another, it can sometimes be the only time I have to sit with my thoughts (especially when I have forgotten a book). I have decided to embrace this trend rather than fight it, as I have for my past few enteries. I hope people will let me know if it gets tiresome.

After that little disclaimer, let me tell you about something that happened the other day on the subway.

Have you ever seen the movie “The Village”? If you haven’t, and you plan on it, read no further.

There is a part of the movie where the heroine is travelling blindly (literally) through the woods to get away from a monster that you and she both know, doesn’t exist. It is just a person in a costume. There is a scene where you see the monster far off in the shot, frightening but not immediate. The camera pans to her, and then back to the monster; you jump out of your seat, because the creature is suddenly 30 yards closer and right next to her.

I am frightened easily by things such as these. I was travelling home with a fellow classmate when she motioned me to glance behind me. Sitting side by side, half a car away from us there were twins girls.

They were dressed the same.

Their hair was the same.

They had matching expressions

Their purses were identical.

They sat in the same position.

I was scared to look away in case they moved closer, just like in a horror movie. Luckily, they didn't move closer, and the subway lights did not dim and flicker. I am thinking that it might have been a performance art piece... Or maybe comedy where they gauge people's reactions without their knowing. It is hard to say. Nevertheless, I didn't notice them getting off the subway car, which made it seem like they just disappeared.

...Like ghosts.

No comments: