Friday, October 3, 2008

Introducing my friend, Public Transit...

Public Transportation and I have gotten pretty tight over the past few weeks. We see each other at least twice a day, though it is decidedly busy during the week, and sometimes goes right by me, like it doesn't even see me, as I’m standing right there on the street, waiting for it.

We really like each other. It doesn’t mind that I’m quiet and read first thing in the morning, and I try not to get jealous when it is really full. I get annoyed when it stops and starts really abruptly and I bump into people. It gets a little peevish when I pay fare in nickels. Transit can be moody, and has been known to close its doors on people when they are running to catch it. Once in a while – Transit yells for no reason, and refuses to move – making everyone late and frustrated.

Sometimes, Transit is chatty and tells you about plans to retire and move to Scotland to audit courses.

Sometimes, Transit has a laugh like Danny Glover.

Sometimes, Transit sings while carting you around the city.

Sometimes, Transit is the happiest place to be, like when it is raining torrentially outside.

Sometimes, Transit waves at every single person who departs.

Sometimes, Transit gives you advice on life.

Sometimes, Transit sees a little old lady tottering along the street and halts in the middle of the street so that she doesn’t have to walk to the next stop.

Sometimes, Transit smiles and waves at you as you pass by. It also can get really excited when you wave back.

I forgive all of it's faults for all of these sweet 'sometimes', which add up to equalling 'most-times'. How can I not like it? Besides, it gets me where I need to go day after day... Not just sometimes.

1 comment:

Wijdan said...

easily my favourite post of yours so far!
i especially love how transit gives you advice on life. its the simplest thing, but its so deep too!

oh and i appreciate ur still alive too! ;)